House of goth
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House of goth

A place for the gothic or the gothic minded to chat.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Curragh

Curragh

Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft Empty
PostSubject: Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft   Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 3:15 am

So I had some free time over Christmas, and I read a couple of Neil Gaiman novels. "Stardust" is better than the movie (though the movie was very good). "Neverwhere" is one of the best novels I've read lately. I didn't want it to end. It's less "metal" and more "dark fairytale," if that makes sense.

One of the best books I've read in the last year or so is "The Collected Ghost Stories of M.R. James." James was an Oxford man who wrote ghost tales in his spare time, and he was once considered the best ghost story writer that England ever produced. Popular consensus may have shifted away from that opinion, but I haven't. He's still the best Brit ghost story writer ever -- IMHO.

Finally, H.P. Ashe mentioned that he thinks the creature in Cloverfield will be Cthulu, or Cthulu-inspired. I dunno. But H.P.'s come up in conversation a lot lately, so I figured I'd bring him up here because, you know, there are never enough Lovecraft discussions in the world. Anyway, poll time: What's your favorite Lovecraft story?

I'll start: At the Mountains of Madness.
Back to top Go down
Marcus Kane

Marcus Kane

PostSubject: Re: Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft   Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 5:35 am

Its a tie.."Horror at red hook" or "rats in the walls" although if we take into account the movie adaptations then DAGON is my fav:)
Back to top Go down
http://www.cellardweller.4t.com

PostSubject: Re: Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft   Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 am

Dagon's become a whole nother creature since the story. He's become an Elder God, like Cthulhu. Nyarthalotep has become an Elder too, though he was at first only an agent of insanity from what I can understand of him.

As far as Mr. Gaiman goes, I've come to adore the Sandman series. I bought Stardust as well and it IS better than the movie, which WAS very good as you said. I think cause Neil actually adapted it from the book instead of someone else adapting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft   Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Neil Gaiman, M.R. James, H.P. Lovecraft
Page 1 of 1